Friday, January 16, 2015

Wild Cherry Brush #3


Wild Cherry Brush Handles |  New Knots Arrived |  Glued in the Knots | Test Lathering the Wild Cherry Brushes | O-rings for the Wild Cherry Brushes | Wild Cherry Brush #3 | Jayaruh #4 Handle | New Brush Project #4 Finished | Jayaruh #4 Post Bloom | The Four Wild Cherry Brushes

Today, I started on brush 3 of the wild cherry branch project. Here are the finished brushes, 1 and 2.

Brush 1 and Brush 2
For the new project, I am using the wood from the middle of the original block.


The original brush 2 was about 3/8 of an inch longer. I cut it off to its present length. That left me with two "scrap" pieces. A few days ago, I glued the two pieces back together in their original configuration. Today was a beautiful day, and I decided to get started. I broke out the router table, my orbital sander, and the Dremel, After some shaping, I used the Dremel to drill out the hole in the top. I did some final shading and then prepped the surface with Minwax pre-stain. I stained it with a cherry stain, and now it is completing its dry time. Tomorrow, I will put some polyurethane on it. I need to decide what knot to put in it now.

Brush handle #3
Brush 1, Brush handle 3, Brush 2
Jayaruh #1, Jayaruh #3, Jayaruh #2


Satin poly applied.
January 17, 2015
I ordered two pure badger knots. They are due for delivery from China from January 27 to February 10. Twelve dollars for both with free shipping. My last order from China took 4 weeks. 


The 20x60 is destined for the new wild cherry handle. The 18x50 will be put in a Cholula cap.

January 20, 2015
I made a couple of decorative cuts on the handle, did a light sand, and applied another coat of polyurethane.

January 28, 2015


The knots arrived today, and I got the Dremel out and adjusted the width and depth of the opening for brush#3. I also adjusted the opening for the Cholula lid. Here is a picture of the dry fitting.

Jayaruh WC3 is 20mm x 53mm.
Jayaruh CH2 is 18mm x 50mm.

From now on I am going to designate this wild cherry brush as Jayaruh #3. The Cholula brush will be Jayaruh CH2.

Jayaruh #1, #2, and #3



To continue this story click on Jayaruh #4 Handle 

No comments:

Post a Comment